Temporary Stay



Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), commonly called as a visitor visa, is issued to foreign nationals who have met the admission requirements to Canada and have satisfied the visa officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay. Unless the foreign national is from a visa exempt country, a TRV is not required. But, will need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) if traveling by air to or transiting through Canada.  ETA is not required from visa-exempt foreign nationals if travelling by land or water. US citizens are also exempted from applying for an ETA as long as they carry their US passports.


General TRV application requirements:

  • Meet the requirements of the (IRPA) and the

  • Stay in Canada temporarily and leave at the end of the allowed time frame;

  • Financially capable to support yourself and your family while in Canada and to return home;

  • Unless authorized, you don’t plan to work or study in Canada;

  • No criminal history, not a risk to Canada’s security, and able to establish admissibility upon officer’s request;

  • In good medical health condition (a medical examination may be required).


To find out more about how to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa or if you need assistance in your application, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.






Work Permit

Temporary Foreign Worker


A foreign worker will need a work permit in order to work in Canada. However, there are other conditions where you do not need a work permit. Moreover, there are programs where work permits are granted without going through the traditional work permit application such as the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), International Experience Canada (IEC), Free Trade Agreements like NAFTA including business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and investors and traders, etc.


The work permit application has to show that the foreign worker meets the education, work experience and skill requirements and that there are no legal impediments for admission to Canada. A standard work permit is generally quite restrictive; it can be specific to a certain occupation, location, and employer. The process involves two steps: the prospective employer applies for the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) then the prospective employee applies for the work permit.


The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) evaluates whether the employment of the foreign national is likely to have a neutral or positive effect on the labour market in Canada. There are LMIA-exempt programs wherein a foreign national can secure a work permit without obtaining an LMIA. This qualifies foreign nationals who will bring social and cultural benefits to Canada.


General eligibility requirements:

  • Leave Canada when work permit expires;

  • Financially capable to support yourself and your family while in Canada and to return home;

  • No criminal history and law abiding (a police clearance certificate is required) and a risk to Canada’s security;

  • In good medical health condition (a medical examination may be required); and

  • Not to work for “ineligible” employers (employers not compliant with the conditions or offer striptease, erotic dance/massages, and escort services).


Application for a work permit is usually made before coming to Canada, but under certain circumstances it can also be applied from inside Canada or at the port of entry.


To find out more about what type of work permit you can apply for, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.





Caregiver Programs


The caregiver immigration programs are the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot. These replaced the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots and provide eligible caregivers with a pathway to permanent residence once they’ve acquired two years of Canadian work experience. 


Major changes from the previous caregiver pilots include:

  • Occupation-specific work permits instead of employer-specific work permits. This change will allow caregivers to change employers;

  • Caregiver’s immediate family will also be entitled to open work permits and/or study permits;

  • Employers will no longer need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before hiring a caregiver from overseas.

The Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots will only provide work permits to caregivers who have a job offer in Canada and who meet the following criteria:

  • Language tests results showing a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5;

  • One year of Canadian post-secondary education or the foreign equivalent; and 

  • Admissible to Canada.

Caregivers already working in Canada on a work permit who meet these criteria can also apply for permanent residence through the new pilots.

IRCC will again accept applications for the Interim Pathway program for qualified In-Home Caregivers on July 8, 2019 and this will run for 3 months.


To find out more about the Caregiver programs, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.







Study Permit

There are exemptions that will not require a study permit if you are an accompanying family member or a private staff of foreign representative accredited by Global Affairs Canada or a member of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act. Generally, a study permit is not required for attending preschool, pursuing a distance learning program, audit courses, courses included in tour packages for tourists, non-academic and of general interest in nature, and/or programs which can be completed within six months or less or within the period authorized upon entry into Canada. 


Most foreign nationals who would like to pursue studies in Canada need a study permit. The application has to be made outside Canada. Application within Canada or at the Port of Entry (POE) is available in specific instances.

General eligibility requirements for a Student Permit application:

  • Meet the requirements of the (IRPA) and the

  • Acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). All primary and secondary institutions are considered DLIs;

  • Letter of approval from Ministère de l'Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion (MIDI) or Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if going to study in Quebec;

  • Meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR);

  • Prove that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies;

  • Proof of financial support for the duration of your stay as a student;

  • No criminal records (a Police Clearance Certificate may be required);

  • Not a security risk to Canada;

  • In good medical condition (a medical examination may be required); and

  • Other documents that will be required by the officer.


If you are a legal resident of India, China, Philippines, or Vietnam, and you meet specific requirements by providing upfront documentation, you may apply under Student Direct Stream (SDS), an expedited study permit processing program to study at a Canadian post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI). The service standard for SDS processing is 20 calendar days after receipt of a complete application and biometrics.

As an international student, you may work on campus and/or off campus as long as you have a valid study permit, studying full-time and meet other certain eligibility requirements.


To find out more about how to apply for a Student Permit or if you qualify for the Student Direct Stream program and you need assistance in your application, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.







Post Graduate Work Permit

If you want to stay and work in Canada after your graduation from a qualified Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you can be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

General eligibility requirements for a PGWP application:

  • 18 years old or older and it’s your first time to apply for a PGWP;

  • Studied continuously in a full-time basis in Canada for 8 months or more (distance learning program not eligible);

  • Document (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) issued by your school that certifies your completion of the program and its requirements;  

  • Graduated from an eligible DLI and apply within 90 days for a work permit after the completion of the program;

  • Have not participated in certain scholarship/fellowship programs or programs funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC); and

  • Study permit is still valid when you apply for the work permit.


To find out more about how to apply for a PGWP or if you need assistance in your application, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.







Super Visa

A Super Visa is issued to parents or grand parents and allows them to stay in Canada for up to 2 years as opposed to a regular Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), which allows stays only up to 6 months per visit. The validity of the Super Visa is up to 10 years. For parents or grand parents who do not want to immigrate permanently in Canada, but want to be with their families in Canada without the inconvenience of applying for a temporary resident visa every time, or for families who would want their parents or grand parents be in Canada temporarily without going through parent-grand parent sponsorship, this is a program to meet your needs.

General requirements for a Super Visa application:

  • A letter of invitation from your child or grandchild residing in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;

  • Your child or grandchild must provide a proof that he/she meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum;

  • Documentations to prove your relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident whom you will visit;

  • Evidence that you have a private medical insurance that will cover your stay in Canada with a minimum coverage of $100,000.00 and valid for one year or for each entry to Canada;

  • Maybe required for a Biometric information; and

  • Go through medical examination.


To find out more about how to apply for a Super Visa or if you need assistance in your application, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.






International Experience Canada

International Experience Canada (IEC) is a program available for youths of certain countries that Canada has bilateral agreements with that allows young citizens of both countries gain international work experience. Young citizens from specific countries can come to Canada and work 1 to 2 years full-time. Depending on what country you are from, IEC has the following categories that you may be eligible to apply for:

  • Working Holiday

    • Does not require to have a job offer;

    • Can come to Canada as a visitor and work with an open work permit; and

    • Can work for more than 1 employer.

  • Young Professionals

    • Must have a job offer under the NOC level 0, A, & B. NOC level C may be accepted with certain requirements;

    • With employer specific work permit and work for the same employer during your stay in Canada; and

    • Must be a paid employment and not self-employed.

  • International Co-op Internship

    • With employer specific work permit, work under NOC level 0, A or B and is directly related to your field of study. NOC level C may be accepted with certain requirements;

    • Registered at a post-secondary institution and the internship is to complete your studies; and

    • Work for the same employer and location during your entire stay in Canada.


To find out more about International Experience Canada or if you need assistance in your application, contact MigrateCA, your resource to help you navigate your options.


Maria Cylena Thelma Domingo, RCIC

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Member in Good Standing with:

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) 

Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC) 

A proud travel agent for:

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 3.50.11 PM_edi

© MigrateCA Immigration Resource 2018

MigrateCA Immigration Resource
Address:  Unit 204 - 2316 McCallum Rd.
Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 3P4
P: +1 (604)882-2669            Viber:  +1 (604)882-2669
F: +1 (604)608-4977             Skype: live:resource_77
E: resource@migrateca.ca    W:       www.migrateca.ca
Office Hours (By Appointment):
Mon.-Fri. Online/In-Person - 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm (PST)
Sat. & Sun. Online/In-Person - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm (PST)
  • Facebook - Black Circle